[CHS_parents] This week at CHS...October 13th

Pat Johnson pjohnson at canby.k12.or.us
Fri Oct 10 11:28:10 PDT 2014

Dear Parents and Friends of Canby High School,

It has been another great week to be a Canby Cougar. Tonight, the CHS football program will host their “cancer awareness” night.  Prior to tonight’s contest with the Tualatin Timberwolves a public service announcement will be read.  Donation buckets will be located at each of the four gate entrances and at both concession stands.  During half-time student leaders will be “passing the bucket” through the main grandstands and around the stadium requesting donation to be given to the OHSU Knight Cancer Research Institute.  The student body has chosen this night to dress in pink in what is commonly called a “pink out”.  Parents are welcome to join in the theme of the evening.  Included in tonight’s halftime activities; the CHS Marching Band will showcase their entire competitive show for our fans and it is Canby Youth Football Night.  I never get tired of “Cougar Jacks” as performed by our youth football programs.

We greatly appreciate the donated t-shirts, pink automobile to enhance the “pink out” and your continued support of CHS students in their endeavor to greatly impact the awareness of cancer awareness and research in our area.

I was recently asked the following question, “how do I know when colleges are visiting CHS”?  Our School to Career office has an extensive blog that lists college visits and other opportunities for students here at Canby High School. Attached is the link: https://sites.google.com/a/canby.k12.or.us/canby-high-school-school-to-career-center/.  Our School to Career office staff do a fantastic job of keeping the schedule of college visits updated on this site.  If you click on the link on the left hand side that says College Visits and College Fairs and scroll down, there is an updated calendar of upcoming visits.

Next Wednesday is Parent/Teacher Conferences.  I want to encourage parents to take advantage of this limited opportunity to meet with your student’s teachers face-to-face to discuss your students’ academic progress.  Parent/Teacher Conferences will run from 4:00 -8:00 pm on Wednesday, October 15th.  We will be using our synergy calling system to remind you of this important event.

Last Thursday, October 2nd, as announced, we conducted a “Lock-in/Lock-out & Directed Evacuation Drill”.  Students and staff were locked–in for a period of approximately ten minutes.  During that window of time staff reviewed what the specific expectations were for students during a ”Lock-in emergency”, “Room Clear” and then reviewed what to do in case of an earthquake.  We took advantage of the time in lock-in to add the earthquake preparedness and room clear information.  After approximately ten minutes I directed the evacuation of all staff and students to the prearranged location, parking lot behind Fine Arts Center.  It only took seven minutes to completely evacuate the buildings with just under 1700 staff and students.  The total time out of class for this drill was thirty minutes.  We feel the drill was a huge success.  I encourage your to talk with your student about the drill and our safety practices at CHS.  If you have any questions please contact me.

Have a great week!

Pat Johnson, Principal

Announcements:

• Freshman Intervention program – Parents of freshmen students signed education compact earlier this fall in order to partner with us to help support your freshman student who was failing one or more classes at the progress reporting period would be required to attend a structured Tuesday and Thursday after school study hall intervention program.  We now have the results of the first trimester progress-reporting period. Progress reports were mailed home on Thursday, October 16th.  A letter attached to their student’s progress report notified freshmen parents.    The required after school study hall intervention program will begin on Tuesday, October 21st.  Students who have qualified will be required to attend.  This includes students currently participating in an after school programs such as athletics and/or activities.  The program will run each Tuesday and Thursday afternoon from 2:50 – 4:50 pm, teachers will assist students with their homework, review for make-up quizzes or tests and assist them with any missing or late work that can be turned in.  Six activity bus routes will be established and will return students to their homes after the study hall intervention.  There are two bus routes going to the Carus Elementary area, one bus route going to the 91 School area, one bus route on the south side of the railroad tracks in Canby and two bus routes on the North side of the railroad tracks in Canby.

Dates to Remember:

-       Tuesday, October 14th - Graduation All Night Party (GAP) meeting, 7:00 pm ~ 4th Street Center

-       Wednesday, October 15th – PSAT testing for all 10th & 11th grade students, 12th grade work writing work sample opportunity and 9th grade DLI students proficiency testing ~ ½ day for students present

-       Wednesday, October 15th - Parent/Teacher Conferences; 4:00 – 8:00 pm in the CHS Cafeteria/commons

-       Tuesday, November 11th Veteran’s Day observance ~ No school for students & staff

Pertinent Information:

• October 15th... PSAT testing, DLI proficiency testing and senior writing work sample opportunities available - CHS is required by the State of Oregon to provide every sophomore the opportunity to take the College Board Pre Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT).  We feel the data received from students taking the PSAT test in both their Sophomore and Junior years is both beneficial to our students and will help staff in determining the rigor or need for modifications in their course curriculum.  Please help us in getting your sophomore or junior son or daughter to attend on the late start half day set aside for this assessment.

Students can meet required State Reading and Math proficiencies by earning a score of 44 or more on the PSAT.

• October 15th, Parent/Teacher Conferences - Parents, I encourage you to attend parent/teacher conferences on Wednesday, October 15th between 4:00 & 8:00 pm.  We will use arena type of conferences this fall.  Parents please pick up your students progress report at the entrance on the South end of the cafeteria.  Teachers and I encourage students attend conferences with their parents.  This approach will help ensure that your student’s education is a partnership between the student, parents and their teacher.

• Canby Area Recognition of Excellence (CARE) Award: Canby High School has many excellent well deserving teachers of this award recognition.  If you or your student had an invaluable learning experience from a CHS teacher or you know of a teacher doing amazing things with students pleases consider nominating them for the CARE Award.

CARE’s mission is to recognize our teachers and staff who excel in educating our children by building a foundation that supports a lifelong love of learning, challenges our children to strive for better and enhances the lives of our children… one student at a time!

The CARE Award allows individuals to nominate teachers and support staff whose efforts ensure our children get the most from their education.  Nominations can be made either electronically or on paper through the Canby School District (www.canby.k12.or.us) or the Kiwanis (www.canbykiwanis.org).  Each month one educator will be presented the award accompanied by a token of appreciation provided by local business.

Instructional Focus:

 “Creative and Critical Thinking”

Teaching Philosophy:

“Use a variety of Teaching Strategies that address Different Learning Styles”

Best Teaching Practice being practiced is:

“Use of questioning strategies”

CHS Daily and Athletic/Activity Schedules:

When visiting the link below, you can always view the latest version of this information and can also use the buttons in the upper right of this report to print, email, or download the information into many different file formats for use in other programs.

 http://www.threeriversleague.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=396&school_id=1

Pat

Follow me on Twitter
@pjohnsonCHS